This fourteen hour program focuses on business management, grass roots marketing, and developing a plan for visual artists to advance their art careers. Working through small group work and presentation, the Business Boot Camp is designed for up to 20 individual artists. Artists should leave with a greater understanding of how to think of their art as a business, how to confidently promote themselves and their artwork, and how to further develop a strategy for getting their work into the public. Gene Meneray, Co-Founder of The Ella Project, is the lead instructor. Additional instructors include Katie Odell, gallerist and social media manager, and Ashlye Keaton, entertainment attorney and Co-Founder of The Ella Project. This workshop was developed with support from the State of Louisiana’s Office of Cultural Development, the National Endowment for the Arts and the Ella West Freeman Foundation.
Saturday The Artist’s Career
- How is art sold? What determines pricing?
- Marketing materials for the independent visual artist.
- Creating an artist brand.
- Working with galleries, festivals and public art.
- Designing a career plan.
- Current trends in grassroots marketing.
The Artist as Business Person
- Social Media: What’s worked, what hasn’t.
- Identifying your target market.
- Legal issues for visual artists.
- Basic finance for self employed artists.
- Goal setting for the future.
Quotes from previous attendees:
- “Super informative for all levels of accomplishment! I didn’t feel left behind or like I was being taught things I already knew.”
- “When thinking about the next steps to take in my career, this workshop helped me find a direction to focus my attention..”
- “Y’all left no question unanswered!”